[Speex-dev] help regarding <voice to text>

Keith Kyzivat kkyzivat at sipez.com
Fri Oct 26 21:39:38 PDT 2007

Pintu --

Speex is an audio codec that can encode and decode audio for transmission
over network (or for storage).
Specifically, it's called speex because it is tailored to work well at
encoding speech at small bitrates.

Speex does not do speech recognition or text to speech.
You may wish to look at CMU's speech page:
http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/(look at Sphynx).
And I'll tell you - It is much more difficult (and processor intensive) to
to speech recognition than it is to to speech synthesis (though both are
quite difficult).

~Keith Kyzivat

On 10/26/07, Pintu Agarwal <pintu.agarwal at sasken.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I am need of "voice to text" converter for one of my project. I need to
> use it on Linux OS.
> I got "text2wave" converter but didnt find any "wave2text" equivalent.
>
> Then I saw "speexenc" and "speexdec" on linux.
> It basically does encoding and decoding the the WAV file.
>
> Thus I wanted to know if I can use these utilities to convert a WAV file
> to a text file.
>
> Please help!!!!
>

> Thanks, Regards
> Pintu
>

> SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
> -------------------------
> This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
> case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
> indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
> requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
> those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
> shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
> Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
> authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
> viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
> transmitted by this email

Keith Kyzivat

SIPez LLC.
SIP VoIP, IM and Presence Consulting