[Speex-dev] Speex with PS3 SPE support

Alexander Chemeris Alexander.Chemeris at sipez.com
Thu Oct 25 19:02:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 10/26/07, Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> Joost Schuur wrote:
> >    My primary concern is the use of the word 'unstable' on the current
> > download page for 1.2b2. One of our major devloper partners in
> > particular saw that reference and opted to use 1.0.5 on their PS3 title,
> > which is why we based our work for them on 1.0.5. The kind of commercial
> > game developers that are our customers aren't going to have the benefit
> > of the insight into the current status of the code that you have, so
> > they have to make judgement calls based on how the code version is
> > labelled.
>
> "Unstable" basically means "unstable API" and that refers mainly to the
> new dsp functions (which weren't in 1.0.x" and the few things I added to
> the codec still need to stabilise a bit (everything that was in 1.0.x is
> still working fine).
>
> >    Renaming it to 1.2 final, without the unstable moniker would
> > definitely help reassure this one developer in particular, and would
> > have meant they would have happily used 1.2 instead. Is there another
> > release planned in the near future? Or would you consider renaming the
> > current beta, as suggested?
>
> You know, there are Firefox extensions that can replace words you don't
> like on a page (just like they replace ads). There is a beta3 planned
> soon, probably followed by RCs. No, I am *not* renaming to 1.2 because
> some people don't like to see "unstable". However, I'll gladly send you
> a script that can do it on your own version. However, the mainline will
> only be marked "stable" once I can say that I'm not going to change
> details in the API.

After split of codec and DSP stuff is done - probably it make sense to give
codec part "stable" label, while maintaining DSP part as unstable?
I think this will make things much clearer then they are now without
many words being said. :)

Well, it's a generic question, interesting to all Speex users, after
all - do you
want to maintain versions of codec and dsp parts separately or in conjunction?

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.

SIPez LLC.