[Speex-dev] WaveIn/WaveOut and Speex

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Mon Nov 5 13:53:54 PST 2007

Evgueni,

Don't listen to this guy.  The last thing someone confused about types
should use is a union.  Listen, whatever types you're using, you're just
dealing with data in memory.  For an array, it's just a big block of data in
memory.  You need to know how that data is stored in memory.  For audio data,
WAVEFORMATEX tells you that with its contents.  Don't let types deceive you -
focus on the format of the actual data.  Know that Speex needs either floats
or shorts, with a sample rate of 8000/16000/32000 samples per second, and
that it's your responsibility to pass it data in this format.  If the data is
already in this format (for example, 16-bit 16kHz mono) you can cast the array
you provide to Speex from LPSTR or whatever to short, if you're using Speex's
short-based API.  Otherwise, you need to loop through your input array,
convert each sample to what Speex needs, and pass a converted buffer to Speex.

This is pretty basic stuff and has nothing to do with Windows or its APIs,
and everything to do with basic understanding of how audio data is stored
in memory.

Tom