[Speex-dev] Speex into a wav file

David Siebert david at aretoo.com
Thu May 24 07:50:40 PDT 2007

Reed Hedges wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> David Siebert wrote:
>>
>>> Actually I was hoping to store speex compressed audio into a wav
>>> container. Not to trans code it.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, that is not possible.
>
> Well, it's possible to put compressed data into the WAV file instead of
> PCM audio data, and set the compression-type format flag to some made-up
> value, but it wouldn't work on any WAV player.
>
> You could use the RIFF format (which I guess is sort of comparable to
> the OGG format) and make up a format identifier like SPXX or something.
>
> Reed

I am pretty sure the Speex ACM codec/DirectShow Filters do create a
Speex compressed Wav file.
I have the Speex codec installed on My windows machine and using sound
recorder transcoded a small wave file from PCM into a Speex Encoded Wav
file. BTW it sounds great and even at Q10 it is one quarter the size.
And even sounds pretty good at Q3. The source wasn't the greatest but I
wanted to prove to myself that it could be done. BTW if you the Codecs
installed it will play with a any "standard" wav player that uses the
windows Codecs.