[Speex-dev] Signaling tones in Speex

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sun May 6 23:05:37 PDT 2007

Mainak Chakraborty wrote:
> Hi Jean,
> Thats great news for me to start off with as I was planning to go with
> 16 Kbps ADPCM keeping in mind the issues and options I had. Now, whether
> the additional computation cost is worth the significant bandwidth
> savings, I have to see.
> Just wondering if it is possible to extend this logic to G3 and G4 fax
> as well, i.e. using a higher bit-rate and complexity mode for modem or
> fax instead of going for a higher bit-rate ADPCM.
> If so, a one stop solution for all kinds of traffic would be awesome.

Not sure what these faxes are. It depends on how sophisticated they are.
In any case, I'm pretty sure that regardless of the test, Speex will
come up way ahead of ADPCM at any of the bit-rates it supports. BTW,
if/when you test Speex on DTMF and fax, please post the results here as
I'd be quite curious to see how it performs.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc