[Speex-dev] Re: compatibility issues.

Greg caroundw5h at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 09:23:09 PDT 2007

thanks for the reply Jim. I'm actually well aware of the packaging, setup and teardown of sessions,and have the audio interface part figured out and implemented (Port Audio).

The speexclient.c encapsulate audiocapture,encoding,sending and decoding. for my purposes now i've implemented my code more modular. first so i could understand each piece of the software involved and so i could come up with the best way i want to put it all together later.

unless i'm missing something-and tell me if i am-my question still stands: "packet is larger than the allocated buffer, truncating input" is the error mesg
i'm getting. whats the board's recommendation for fixing this.

Jim Crichton <jim.crichton at comcast.net> wrote: For a streaming application like VOIP, you collect 20 ms of samples, feed
this through the encoder, stick it in an RTP packet, and send if over the
network.  On the receive side you feed packets through a jitter buffer to
the decoder, and then copy the output audio to your output device.  Speex
runs efficiently on most compilers, so the real-time requirement is not a
big deal, as long as you know how to do this with your operating system (if
you have one).

You do not need Ogg containers for something like this, just search the
archives for RTP references and you will find much more.

Look at the SpeexClient application provided in the source tree, and at the
testenc examples in the libspeex directory.  The Speex part of things is
pretty easy (thanks to Jean-Marc).  It is the audio interface for your
specific platform and the call setup protocals (e.g. SIP) where the real
work is.

If you identify the specific hardware/software platform that you plan to
use, then someone may be able to point you to examples for the audio
interface software.

- Jim