[Speex-dev] speex1.2-beta2 and noise suppression problem

Piotr Domagalski szalik at szalik.net
Thu Jun 7 10:07:02 PDT 2007

Hi!

I'm using the newest (beta2) speex library on PocketPC (Windows
powered) and experiencing some problems with noise suppression
preprocessor turned on while encoding 44kHz files.

You can hear the example here: http://szalik.net/speex (this is a
44kHz, 16, mono file encoded in UWB mode)

I tried using speex cross-compiled with gcc (fixed point + arm4 asm)
and VS (just fixed point) and it sounds the same. There doesn't seem
to be any problem with 8 and 22kHz input files. Speex-1.2beta1 crashes
with all 44kHz input file and it's very hard to debug, because I'm
using .NET P/Invoke to call native DLL and the application just closes
down when it crashes.

As for the code, it's quite simple, the basic flow is as follows:

1. Init encoder, bits, set SPEEX_SET_SAMPLING_RATE
2. Init preprocessor state, set SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DENOISE
3. Set quality/complexity
4. loop with: encode_stereo, preprocess, encode int

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Or is it a bug?
Maybe something with the last fixed-point changes?

--
Piotr Domagalski