[Speex-dev] draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex-01.txt

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Fri Jun 1 18:42:52 PDT 2007

> I was under the impression that Speex, like Vorbis and FLAC had its
> specification under the PD,

AFAIK, under US law, the only way for something to fall in the public
domain is for either 1) the author to be an employee of the US
government or 2) the author to be dead for more than X years (X being
larger than the age of Mickey Mouse). To the best of my knowledge (did I
miss something?), none of these applies to me yet.

Also, the license under which the "spec" is released is irrelevant. The
closest to a "spec" that Speex has is the manual and it's under the
GFDL. Sure it means you can't make the document itself proprietary, but
anyone can *use* the document for any purpose (including writing a
proprietary implementation of Speex).

> and only the reference C library was
> licensed under the New BSD License.

You got that one right.

>> Do you have any company names?
>
> This comes from my experience while working for small companies here
> in Portugal.  Some of them would go as far as not allowing me to use a
> GPL tool like Gimp, because they did not understand how software may
> be given for free.

So because of that we're supposed to hide the fact that something is
free/open source software? I'm sorry, but it's the main *point* of
writing Speex.