SV: [Speex-dev] How to detect SpeexBits corruption

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Thu Jan 25 06:24:09 PST 2007

You might not be doing anything wrong.  Speex is stateful and can
get into a bad state sometimes.  It's happened to me too, but not
recently.  And I've seen such bugs reported on this list and fixed.
I suggest several approaches to solving the problem:

1) Try compiling Speex without compiler optimizations and see if the
problem still occurs.  Most likely it will, but this is an essential
sanity check.

2) Try to make the problem trivially reproducible for others so that
the bug (if it exists) can be tracked down and fixed.  You must
identify exactly which version of Speex you're using and provide
sample data, code, and instructions so that someone else can
reproduce the problem with minimal effort.

3) Try to be nice to Speex.  Don't feed the decoder corrupted data,
out of order data, data with gaps, etc.  Put extra checks in your
code/protocol to make sure you're decoding exactly the data that
the encoder produced.  You might be surprised at the result.  Also
keep in mind that the nature of the audio data itself may be
triggering the problem, especially if it is unusual in some way.

Good luck,

Tom