[Speex-dev] speex and rtp

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sat Aug 11 03:16:13 PDT 2007

> i've been having problems for the past little while with finding a app library
> for my voip application. then looking at speexclient i noticed there are
> timestamps and sequence numbers included in the implementation.

Actually, there isn't even a sequence number, only a timestamp.

> my question is: should i get a third party RTP lib for my application or
> simply emulate the speex client in its RTP like properties.

I wouldn't recommend using that "protocol" (if you call that a protocol)
unless you *really* don't care about compatibility with anything. This
is not an RTP implementation.

> wouldn't it
> be easier and require less overhead and produce less latency if i did the latter?

Easier, yes. Less overhead, slightly. Less latency, no.

Cheers,