[Speex-dev] Support for tags in speex files?

Rogério Brito rbrito at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:13:28 PDT 2007

Dear Jean-Marc and Conrad,

Sorry for the lack of responses from my part, but life has been quite
stressful right now.

On 2007-07-06, at 03:45, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

>> Thanks, that is nice, but you left me with a question: is it possible
>> to have speex files in an ogg container? I looked a bit on the
>> documentation of speexenc and could find no mention of it (I'm using
>> Debian's testing distribution and the superb easytag as a tag
>> manager).

Now, easytag recognizes the Speex files as a type of file to be edited.

>> Does this mean that, in case I wrap the file into an Ogg
>> container, it
>> will have two layers of "containment"?
>
> speexenc *already* puts the Speex data in an Ogg container. I tend to
> call those files .spx, but they're still Ogg files.

Hummm, I didn't know that. I'm sorry if I missed that in the
manpages. I am anyway, hoping that programs like Ekiga have support
for ultra-wideband when sending the voice over IP. Oh, and a method
for having one choose the quality/bitrate of the transmission.

Anyway, I'm now encoding my lecture speeches with Speex. Thank you
very much for developing the superb codec.

Regards, Rogério Brito.