[Speex-dev] Speex 1.2beta1: Better, smaller, faster and more

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Sep 6 16:00:00 PDT 2006

> I have been testing 1.2beta1 fixed point and non fixed point as well as 1.0.5
> compiled agains uclibc and run on 150Mhz pentium MMX chip.
>
> 1.2 non fixed is fastest 60 seconds encoded in 32 seconds at quality 4
> 1.0.5 is second with the same file encoding in 39 seconds at quality 4
> 1.2 fixed is slowest with 60 seconds encoded in 58 seconds at quality 4
>
> Is this as expected? Or am I doing something wrong? Can uclibc influence
> speed?

The main thing it means is that the int performance of your CPU/compiler
 isn't very good. I'm a *bit* surprised by how much difference there is,
so maybe it's a compiler issue as well. Of course, lowering the
complexity could help in all cases.

> We want to use speex and are considering a few ARM cpu's and the sis550 cpu
> (forerunner currently). Now I have to try and verify that it will encode from
> the soundcard on this device in realtime and transmit the data
> (multicasting). I was hoping that the non fixedpoint performance would be
> better, can it be my fault or is this expected behaviour/performance?

On an ARM chip, the fixed-point will definitely be faster because
there's no FPU.

> Is there a timeframe for the 1.2.0 stable release? Ballpark?

No. But if it makes you feel better, you can always try
% mv speex-1.2beta1.tar.gz speex-1.2.tar.gz
:-)

	Jean-Marc