[Speex-dev] Crash in cb_search.c, line 414

Thorvald Natvig speex at natvig.com
Wed Oct 4 17:18:38 PDT 2006

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
>> gcc version 3.4.5 (mingw special)
>
> Can you try 4.0 or 4.1 just to be sure?

mingw (native gcc for win32) doesn't officially support using gcc 4.0
and 4.1 yet (apparantly there have been some issues), so there are no
binary packages. But if you think it helps, I can compile gcc 4.1 and
give it a shot.

>> Compile flags:
>> DEFINES += NDEBUG WIN32 _WINDOWS HAVE_CONFIG_H VAR_ARRAYS VORBIS_PSYCHO
>
> VORBIS_PSYCHO is an *experimental* feature and should not be enabled
> unless you want to do research with it.

A while back you asked for testers of this and I volunteered :) So far,
my testers seem positive, but I have no idea if that is because I told
them to expect better quality or if the quality actually is better. But
if you think it's related, I can disable it again.

>> As for the CPU and the values of best_ntarget[j], I have no way to find
>> out. I almost had to bully the enduser in question just to get the
>> offset from the windows crash dialog :( .. But apparantly it crashed at
>> that exact spot several times.
>
> Hmm... Can you tell me what bit-rate/sampling rate you're using? Is VBR
> on? Other options?

16khz (wideband) VBR (VAD and DTX off), passed through preprocessor
(VAD, DENOISE, AGC and DEREVERB. AGC level set to 20000).
VBR_QUALITY and COMPLEXITY are userconfigurable, I'll ask and see what
he's set them to.

I must admit I'm a bit stumped as to why it's just this one user that
has this problem :( I've been completely unable to replicate the problem
here. I've added stackframe output on crashes to the latest testbuild,
I'll have the user use that. At least then I can say what j and
best_ntarget[j] is.