[Speex-dev] Quick survey for Speex 1.2

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Nov 15 18:49:30 PST 2006

> Another issue is the memory allocations distributed so many places that
> it's hard to provide a single memory initial function interface.
>
> In a VoIP case on ARM, the total memory size for speex codec should be
> known at the inital stage since  all the  memories are allocated
> at the initial stage.

If you want everything in the same big block, all you need to do is
override the speex_alloc() function to give pointers to a big block
you've previously allocated.

> In my current implementation, all the memory allocations are collected
> together to form one big structure like below,
>
> typedef struct  {
>
>    EncState                    enc_state;
>
>    char                           stack[NB_ENC_STACK];
>
>    spx_word16_t winBuf[80];
>
>    spx_word16_t excBuf[612];
>
>    spx_word16_t swBuf[612];
>
>    spx_word16_t lagWindow[22];

Yuk. That's so.... G.729 and ITU codecs :-) As much as you'd like
something like that, it would be a pain to maintain it. If you want
everything in one chunk, just go with the solution above.

> The structure defined above is used to allocate all memories after call
> the  initial function.
>
> The problem here is the size of the structure which is very large(160k
> Word32) for wb which is unacceptable for ARM.

That's a totally different topic. I do intend to reduce the wb memory
usage, just like I did with the narrowband for 1.2beta1. Still, don't
know where you take this 160k Word32 number (640 kB). I don't think
wideband requires anywhere near that amount of memory.

	Jean-Marc