[Speex-dev] Quick survey for Speex 1.2

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Nov 15 07:40:15 PST 2006

> /* FIXME: This VAD is a kludge */
> .. and it shows (or hears?) unfortunately. I've run a few tests with it
> with my users, and they complain that it misdetects too often... In both
> directions. Non-speech is detected as speech more often than before, and
> more important it also doesn't detect speech as good as before.
> I'd really like to see this "fixed" in some way before 1.2.

OK, it's good to have that information. I'll try to fix that before 1.2.

> I used to grab quite a few bits of data directly from the
> SpeexPreprocessState structure. I have a Audio Statistics window in my
> application which would show SNR info (Zlast), the speech probability
> and a graphical view of ps and noise. This really helped users to
> improve the quality of their input, as they could clearly and
> immediately see the effect of changes in the environment.
> These data are now private and can't easily be extracted from an outside
> program. Would it be possible to add _ctl calls to GET_PS, GET_NOISE,
> GET_SNR etc? Would you accept patches which did this?

One of the main reasons the struct is now private is that its content
depends on whether Speex was compiled for fixed-point or floating-point.
 I'm not against making it possible to extract some information, but it
needs to be done in a clean way, that doesn't depend on whether you
compiled with float or int.