[Speex-dev] Integrating speex with VideoNet application: Constantbackground noise

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Nov 1 22:04:39 PST 2006

At first glance it looks like you are opening the output device in 8-bit
mode (m_waveFormatEx.wBitsPerSample =8;).  You will need to use 16-bit mode
if you expect to write an array of signed short integers to the audio
buffer.  8-bit PCM is an unsigned mode, no longer used much these days.

Also, a good debugging trick is to include something like this in your
output sample processing loop:

    static FILE *hack = fopen("test.raw","wb");
    fwrite(output, 2, FRAME_SIZE, hack);

After your app is closed, there will be a file called "test.raw" in its
working directory, which you can load into Sound Forge or a similar audio
editing package for closer inspection without relying on your output buffers
and playback code to work properly.

-- john
RAD Game Tools