[Speex-dev] question about coding

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-100 at mega-nerd.com
Fri May 26 15:13:30 PDT 2006

Leonardi Andrea wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.
> So data are stored in little-endian format on the WAVE file. But
> have I to encode in big endian format or little endian is ok?!

You need to pass the data in whatever is the native endian-ness
for your platform.

> >You are probably reading little-endian samples on a big-endian platform, and
> >failing to flip the byte order.

Using libsndfile (I am the author):

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

will make you life easier.

> >By convention, PCM samples are generally
> >little-endian words,

This is not right. Some file types are little endian (WAV for example)
others are big endian (ie AIFF). There is hwoever also a big endian
WAV variant (RIFX) and some AIFF files contain little endian data.

libsndfile handles all the above variations correctly.

Erik