[Speex-dev] Who is using the jitter buffer?

Alex Bakaev Alex.Bakaev at citrix.com
Mon Mar 20 15:44:10 PST 2006

> That's basically my question: the timestamps at the
source and
> destination are not related. Just incrementing by
number of samples
> doesn't really convey the real time, does it? How would
a jitter
> buffer know that a packet is late/early?

Simple, I know what packet I just played. That gives me
the "time". The jitter buffer actually makes no
difference (and doesn't attempt to) between an increase
in the network delay and a drift in the soundcard clocks.
It just increments or decrements the buffer size to make
sure the packets spend the least amount of time in the
buffer (before being player), while not having too many
lost packets.

So, basically, the sound card play out requests serve as
a 'reference clock', right?

Do you have plans to use silence packets to
grow/shrinking the jitter buffer?

.a