[Speex-dev] Library split (poll)

Aymeric Moizard jack at atosc.org
Wed Jun 28 05:07:34 PDT 2006

Hi Jean Marc,

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Alfred E. Heggestad wrote:

> good idea to split the libraries
>
> If e.g. AEC/Jitterbuffer can be used with other codecs such as G711,
> without linking to the speexcodec lib, I think people will reuse the
> Speex jitterbuffer implentation and avoid writing their own.
>
> what about:
>
>  libspeexpreproc  Preprocessor
>  libspeexaec      Acoustic Echo Cancellation
>  libspeexjitter   Jitter buffer
>  libspeexcodec    Speex codec itself

In case you split, I really like this naming which still show that those
projects are part of speex.

The more features you have "inside", the best "speex" is -> even if the
feature is not directly related to the codec.

Thus, I also advise you to also keep the splitted libraries in the SAME
archive. It's not because you split the build that you should split the
archive and source!

> it would also make sense if the makefile/configure script of the
> applications using the Speex libraries can automatically detect
> which libraries/header files are installed on the system.

In case of one archive, the process for speex maintainer and developper
will be much easier.

Tks,
Aymeric