[Speex-dev] Ogg embedding, problem with spec and/or bugs in speexenc

Joe Wreschnig piman at sacredchao.net
Sat Jul 15 16:30:31 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 14:35 -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 02:17:22PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
>
> > I'm working on support for tagging Speex files for Mutagen[0] and part
> > of the specification at [1] is confusing me. It says the first page
> > should have granulepos 0 and packetno 0. Does this really mean page
> > sequence number 0, since the Ogg format doesn't number packets?
>
> Sounds like a spec bug. The libogg reference implementation always
> flushes a page after the zeroth packet, so packetno=0 is effectively
> page sequence no zero. But as you say, packetno doesn't exist in the
> bitstream, and page number does, so this is what the spec should
> describe.
>
> > It says the comment packet should have granulepos 0. However, when I
> > force a multipage comment packet, all but the last page have granulepos
> > -1. Regardless of the above, I believe this is a speexenc bug. Either it
> > should mark all these pages 0, or only allow one page.
>
> A granulepos of -1 means 'no value'. Since you're splitting a single
> comment packet over multiple pages, only the final page can be marked
> with a valid granulepos. The others get -1 since no packet ends there.

This is not in line with what
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html#vorbis-over-ogg says:

  The granule position of these first pages containing only headers
  is zero.

Which makes it sound like *all* the pages containing only headers get
granulepos 0, rather than just the last page of each packet (or does it
say "pages" where it means "packets"?). 0 is currently what Mutagen
writes for Ogg FLAC and Vorbis files, and ogginfo and libvorbis are
happy with that.

Though I see vorbiscomment also assigns -1 granulepos to each page
except the last. Which is correct, the spec or the reference
implementation?

> HTH,

Unfortunately as far as my original query goes, it does not. I still
don't know whether it means "page" where it says "packet" or means
"packet" and therefore is just talking nonsense. And now I also need
clarification for the Vorbis spec...
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at sacredchao.net>