[Speex-dev] RE: Preprocessor VAD failure

Lin, Yi CONTR J9C569 Yi.Lin at je.jfcom.mil
Fri Jul 7 09:02:04 PDT 2006

I am using the Speex preprocessor in 1.1.12 and found that its VAD may
not detect some speech. I have attached the .wav file I used. Sample
format is 16 bit little endian PCM, 8k narrow band. I used default
setting and only enabled Denoise VAD. My test speech does have some
background noise, and the Denoise feature works very well, but VAD says
all the frames are silent. Does anyone know why? I can send my test
audio file upon request. Thanks.

   st = speex_preprocess_state_init(160, 8000);
   i=1;
   speex_preprocess_ctl(st, SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DENOISE, &i);
   speex_preprocess_ctl(st, SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_VAD, &i);
   i=0;
   speex_preprocess_ctl(st, SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_AGC, &i);
   vad = speex_preprocess(st, frameIn, NULL);

Yi