[Speex-dev] speex dsp as a gstreamer plugin

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Jan 16 08:13:46 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:43:56PM +0100, Christophe Augier wrote:

> i'm not an expert in dsp but i've seen there is some code to run speex
> on omap C5X dsp so i was wondering what is the status of this code.
> Actually my goal is to run a voip application which uses gstreamer on
> an OMAP 5912 board. As there is already a speex codec for gstreamer, i
> was wondering if this plugin can already use the dsp power or if there
> is the need for a new plugin.

People have ported it to the TI C5x dsp, and at least some of the
changes have been merged into the development tree. Check the list
archives for details.

However, AFAIK those were straight ports. To run on the omap, with
gstreamer itself presumedly running on the ARM side will require some
code changes. Basically you have to compile the speex codec as a
separate module to load into the DSP and then modify the speex plugin
to send it buffers instead of doing the decode directly.

I guess that could be done either as a from-scratch plugin or as a
modification, depending on your programming style.

If you get this working and can release the source, I'd really like
to see it. Would be wonderful to have DSP speex running on my Nokia 770.

HTH,
 -r