[Speex-dev] AEC on a TI C6x - has no effect

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Aug 16 05:55:31 PDT 2006

> I followed your advice on running the trivial case. The float version
> started cancelling sounds out within a second. The fixed point
> version also worked, but took a little longer before the effect was
> noticeable. Since I now realized the fixed point version might need a
> little more tweaking than the float version, I started modifying some
> things and ended up with the following changes:

Can you check if you see the same difference between fixed-point and
floating-point in 1.1.12?

> 1. Buffered up the "play" buffer by one frame (192 samples on our
> system), such that the delay between the play and rec is reduced from
> about 350 samples (43 msec) to a little under 200 samples. (yes I
> realize 350-192 != 200, there are slight variations between runs.) I
> didn't buffer by 2 frames because this would run the risk of a
> negative delay value. 2. Reduced the filter size from 800 or 400
> (which I was using before) to 200.

Try using smaller frames. If your system uses frames of 196, try
splitting that in two and using a frame size of 96 for the AEC. This
should improve things. Also, a tail length of 200 might be a bit short.

> With these changes the fixed point version is working well. I guess
> the conclusion we can reach here is not that the fixed point version
> doesn't work, but that it is not *equivalent* to the floating point
> version. The floating point version is better at adapting in somewhat
> harder conditions (larger delay), and can adapt in conditions where
> the fixed point version won't adapt at all.

Care to send me (small) files where there's a big difference. In the
samples I have, the fixed-point is actually pretty close to the float
version. Maybe it's only because of the larger frame size (FFT
quantization noise increases with frame size).