[Speex-dev] Major internal changes, TI DSP build change

Mon Apr 17 16:10:18 PDT 2006

> 1.  I got a compile error at line 410 in nb_celp.c, because this compiler
> will not allow variable declarations in the midst of executable code.  I
> fixed this by bracketing this code block:

Thanks for letting me know. I just fixed it in svn.

> 2:  The decoder is broken.  Running the Male.wav test file, I get all zeros
> out for the first 5 seconds, then 8 samples ranging from -2 to 2, and then
> all 0001 samples to the end of the file.  I got the same result feeding the
> encoded bits from Speex version 1.12.  Before I look into this further, I
> wanted to see if build 11147 was known to be broken.

Hmm, this isn't good. I wasn't aware of anything being broken, so it
must be something TI-specific that I accidently broke. Could you check
other revisions and see where it got broken? At this poing, I have no
clue what could be responsible. 1.1.12 was working fine, right?

> On a separate topic, I want to propose a change to the TI C54x, C55x builds.
> Because these processors have 16 bit char size, there is some special code
> in bits.c to handle the packing.  As part of this, there is code to swap the
> byte order for each 16-bit char within speex_bits_write.  There is no such
> byte swapping in speex_bits_read_from, speex_bits_read_whole_bytes, or
> speex_bits_write_whole_bytes.  For consistency, the byte swapping should be
> done in all four places or in none of them.  In my present build, I have
> byte swapping in all four places, but it seems cleaner to take this out and
> leave it to the calling function to do the swapping if it is needed.  The
> demo builds are not affected, because the loopback application only uses
> speex_bits_write.
>
> Since this affects the Speex interface (just for these targets), I though I
> should ask for feedback before sending a patch.  Does anybody care?

Just so I understand, what you mean is that if you use
speex_bits_write() with speex_bits_read_from() the way things are, it's
just going to corrupt things? If that's the case, then you're more than
welcome to fix it. I think your judgement is much better than mine on
this, so you can do it the way you like as long as the patch is clean
enough.

> Note that speex_bits_read_from is broken in other ways (the length checking
> is wrong for the if BYTES_PER_CHAR=2), so bits.c needs to be updated either
> way.

Patch welcome :-)

	Jean-Marc