[Speex-dev] Echo cancellation performance and metalic noise

Shantanu Gramsci shantanu_khan at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 15:00:03 PDT 2006

Hi,

I use speex1.1.10 [June 10, 2005]in my VoIP
application and it works very good for me. But
sometimes I get loud metalic noise. Turning off EC,
disappears the noise right away. I use EC with
denoiser ON, AGC OFF, echo tail 400 ms. Has anyone
experienced this?

Since Speex1.1.11 has improvement for EC, I tried with
the latest release [Speex1.1.12, which has fixed point
EC]. But in my test, EC performance of 1.1.12 is worse
than Speex1.1.10. I can always hear some suppressed
echo in current[1.1.12] build but with older[1.1.10]
it is much better, almost no echo in most cases. I
replaced corresponding *float* with *spx_int32_t* to
use fixed point, in my code, to use the changed speex
function speex_echo_cancel();

Could that be a reason of fixed point code in Windows
platform?

Please advise.

Thanks

-Shantanu