Fw: [Speex-dev] Results of Automated Batch Tests

Thu Sep 22 05:12:29 PDT 2005

Hi Nic,

While your tool may be useful to detect regressions (I'd include
fixed-point tests too while you're at it), it cannot be used to really
estimate quality. You could obtain a much better SNR from Speex, but the
sound quality would be much poorer. As for narrowband, it's designed for
8 kHz, so if you send it 16 kHz audio, it'll still think it's 8 kHz and
put twice the nominal bit-rate in it.

	Jean-Marc

Le jeudi 22 septembre 2005 à 10:41 +0200, Nic Roets a écrit :
>  The results are at www.rational.co.za/speex.csv
>
>  Each of the 11 quality settings is tested 3 times (narrow, wide and ultra
>  wide band). Strangely narrow band quality 11 outperforms all wide band
>  tests, but it can be due to my subsampling or some other inaudible effect
>  like delaying.
>
>  You can import it into Excel and sort it by SNR or other value. Divide the
>  bits by 24 to get the bps.
>
>  The patch is at www.rational.co.za/speexBatchTest.patch
>  The complete source is at www.rational.co.za/speex-1.1.10a.tar.gz on a slow
>  server.
>

>  ----- Original Message ----- Tom Grandgent
> > Hmm, why not just make the URL of the reference sample available in the
>
>  OK. If you run the program and the file was not downloaded, it tells you
>  where to get it.
>
> > Ah, so you need a high resolution timer.  IMO, it's better to use
> > timeGetTime() on Windows, which is very simple to use and offers reliable
>
>  I've added #ifdefs that you can fill in.

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke