[Speex-dev] Speex and Builder

Joe Anny joe.anny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 01:25:42 PDT 2005

Hi,

We are planning to use Speex as the speech codec for a VoIP application.

1) May I know how Speex compared with GIPS codec?  It seems that Google,
Yahoo, and Skype are licensing from GIPS.  Are there any good benchmarking
or fair comparisons?

2) In particular, how is the jitter buffer control for Speex in response to
intermitent poor connection hiccups?  Is it robust enough to smooth out lost
packets (error concealment) and quick enough to recover the live
conversation smoothly once the packets received are back to normalcy?

3) Has anyone used Speex for live VoIP application?  Any good references or
examples to start with?

4) Since we are focusing on the user application development, may I know
what is the highest-level API for Speex that a developer can use such that
all lower-level issues related to buffering, error concealment, codec, etc.
are automatically taken care of?

Thanks,
Joe