[Speex-dev] audio preprocess questions

Tom Harper tharper at sightspeed.com
Tue Oct 25 18:24:50 PDT 2005

Jean Marc,

I have been fiddling around with preprocess to try to get it sounding
less metallic/underwater- so based on some things said recently,
I have been first fiddling with mean_post and mean_prior to try to
get them to do change the update rate, so that update_noise gets
called at the right times.

Haven't made it too deep into the code, but I have a few
questions in speex_preprocess:

Is there a particular reason for choosing .1 as the gamma
coefficient (for the posteriori SNR)?  It seems like you started
to use a predictor and then hard coded it...  probably this is
in some paper but I can't find it so far.

Are the following best engineering judgement or statistically based:
if (mean_prior<0.23f && mean_post<0.5f)
I seem to have altered mean_prior and mean_post such that
these don't work anymore so I was wondering how you went
about choosing these.

Same question on st->gain having 2.0f as an arbitrary limit?  Seems
to work but just wondering about why it works to cap it there.

same question on:
st->echo_noise[i] = (0.3f*st->echo_noise[i] + echo[i]);
Seems to work well in the original code, trying to figure
out why it is what it is.

So far it seems like denoising is working well, but now I can no longer
properly handle the echo signal.  arg,

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Tom

Tom Harper