[Speex-dev] Can GPRS steal bandwidth from voice?

Vipul Bhatt Vipul_Bhatt at ieee.org
Mon May 23 15:28:34 PDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this, and if you know of an informative URL that has
relevant information, please point me to it.

Suppose a cellular subscriber gets a PocketPC (Windows Mobile 2003 Phone
Edition), and subscribes to a voice + Internet plan. He then decides to
use a proprietary VoIP application using the Internet plan. He is not
using the voice part of his plan; he is channeling all the bits over
GPRS. Suppose the application wants to maximize performance. It seems to
me that there is a decision that needs to be made about bandwidth
allocation between "regular" mobile voice and VoIP/GPRS here. Which
entity makes that decision? Is it up to the application (driving the
codec) to decide that it will "borrow" bandwidth from voice and allocate
all the bandwidth to GPRS? Or is that decision made by Windows Mobile?
And even if the application can hog the voice part of the bandwidth,
will the cellular carrier let it happen, or will they spoil the party by
allocating the "spare" voice bandwidth of this user to other voice users
at the nearest network aggregation point?

At a top level, what I am trying to determine is this: Using the
Internet plans of Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile, what are my chances of
achieving a consistently decent voice quality if I run a proprietary
VoIP application? Or do you suggest I stick to the rule of "if you want
good voice, stick to voice plans"? Thank you.

Vipul