[Speex-dev] Re: Speex on a T.I. TMS320C5510 DSP

Chris Flerackers cflerackers at androme.be
Tue Mar 22 08:07:39 PST 2005

Hi,

> Hi Frank,
>
> Actually, I just merged (in SVN) a patch doing exactly that. AFAIK it
> allows Speex to run on a C55x. I think it should work for you with the
> following caveats:
>
> 1) The static codebooks still take up 16 bits for every 8-bit value
> (that's only a code size issue)
> 2) The bit-packer always returns a multiple of 16 bits instead of 8 bits
> (but it uses all bits when packing).
>
> Jean-Marc

I'd like to run Speex on an iPAQ 6340. This device has an OMAP1510 processor
which consists of an ARM925 and a TMS320C55x. The iPAQ runs PocketPC 2003.
I'd like to run Speex on the DSP (C55x) because the ARM is being used for
other things
in my application. The problem is that after a lot of reading, it is still a
mystery to me how
I can ask the DSP to run a compiled program (I'm trying out an evaluation
version of
code composer studio). There does not seem to be an API callable on the ARM
to which
I can pass the program that has to be run on the DSP.
Do I have to buy a development kit before having access to such an API or
tool? Or
have I been looking in the wrong direction?

My question is maybe a bit off-topic but I noticed that you are running
Speex on the
same processor and couldn't resist to ask how you get the DSP to run e.g.
Speex.
All info is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris