[Speex-dev] sharing a decoder between 2 inbound speex streams?

Anthony Lovell tone at mailblocks.com
Tue Jul 12 13:03:02 PDT 2005

This is a hard one to search for in the archives, and I checked the FAQ
and the PDFs.

If a VOIP application wants to support the ability to output multiple
inbound streams (from separate senders who happened to choose the same
moment to start speaking), is it a requirement to have separate
decoders for each, or could one be used in a round-robin manner to
service packets from the multiple senders?

I am guessing that I should use a separate decoder for each inbound
stream of frames, and that there is significant inter-frame state
maintained by the decoder, but the convenience of not having to have a
decoder free pool to dynamically allocate/deallocate these is
motivation enough to ask!

Tony Lovell
http://dreadnoughtproject.org
tone at dreadnoughtproject.org