[Speex-dev] click at end of playback

Wed Jul 6 17:01:11 PDT 2005

Le mercredi 06 juillet 2005 à 14:00 +0300, David Resnick a écrit :
> I am using speexenc/speexdec to convert WAV files to Speex and then
> play them back. At the end of playback for some files there is a tick
> sound heard that isn’t in the original WAV file.

I see it, but not if I encode myself with 1.1.6. You probably used
another version for encoding.

> I have no prior experience with sound encoding/decoding; does someone
> have a direction I could investigate to fix this problem? I’ve
> embedded speexlib into my application and it works great, it be a
> shame if these “ticks” caused us to reject the use of speex.

The problem (which might not even be there anymore) would not be in
Speex (libspeex) itself, but merely in the command line tool(s). It be a
shame if these caused you to buy an expensive codec instead ;-)

> Version used is 1.1.6 (I’m using this version because I need the
> prepared library files for ARM) and I’m compiling with MS VC++ 2003.

You sure you *encoded* the file with 1.1.6. Also, there's a known
(minor) issue with gapless for very short files that only contain one
Ogg page.

> I’d be curious to find out even just that both files play back
> properly for you.

I get the tick when decoding bad.spx, but encoding+decoding bad.wav
works fine for both 1.1.6 and 1.1.10.

	Jean-Marc

> Thanks in advance,
>

> David Resnick

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke