[Speex-dev] SPEEX_GET_QUALITY

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sun Feb 27 15:30:20 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:09:48PM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Hi Maitland,
>
> I think your solution is probably the best implementation you could do
> for SPEEX_GET_QUALITY. However, unless you have something against that,
> I think removing it would be better, as in many cases (e.g. VBR), the
> call just doesn't make sense). This would of course break the API (not
> the ABI), but given the fact that it was never implemented, any app that
> uses it is already broken anyway.

I like the symmetry of having both GET and SET. If you ask a library
to set an internal value, it's nice to be able to retrieve that from the
library later, and know that you're getting the actual current value.

It's also nice to be able to GET the current value, before you've set
anything -- eg. to render a slider when setting up an encode.

Anyway, how is it that the call "doesn't make sense" for VBR? if there's
no defined value in some cases, perhaps simply returning an UNDEFINED
error would be useful?

Conrad.