[Speex-dev] Bitrate problem

Shantanu Gramsci shantanu_khan at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 14:04:59 PST 2005

Hello all,

This is a bit off topic but I am sure many of you can
answer it.

I use speex and speex-wb in my VOIP application. With
speex [at 8 KHz] bitrate is arround 30KBPS, including
UDP,RTP headers. This is OK for me and I get good
quality audio.

Problem is, if call is made from a HIGH END machine
[like P4 3.2 GHz with good soundcard] to a LOW END
machine [like P3 550 MHz], high end pc sends at more
bitrate than as usual [arround 31Kbps].And apparently
low end PC receives this HIGH bitrate.

So, slow end PC receives audio packets at arround 8100
Hz but it is confiured for 8000 Hz. So there are
overflows in the directsound buffer at receiver end at
periodic interval [in my case after every 30 sec],
than I flush the buffer which makes some distortion.

What should be approapriate solution for this resynch
problem?

Thanks

Shantanu