[Speex-dev] Re: Speex-dev Digest, Vol 15, Issue 15

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Aug 26 21:36:53 PDT 2005

At 03:07 AM 8/26/2005, you wrote:
>Seems to me that they are using speex already.
>Ethereal shows that the voice RTP stream's payload type is 103. According to
>this page [
>http://www.openh323.org/pipermail/openh323/2004-June/068705.html], 103 is
>SpeexNarrow-8k

This is incorrect.  103 (being >= 96) is a dynamic payload type code,
and is not (and cannot be) 'registered' to any one
codec.  "SpeexNarrow-8k" can use any dynamic payload type code, and
any other codec can use dynamic payload type 103, as specified by a
"a=rtpmap:" line in the stream's SDP description.

The actual list of registered RTP payload format codes can be found
here: <http://www.iana.org/assignments/rtp-parameters>.  Note that
this registry of static payload format codes is now closed; no more
static payload format codes will be registered.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>