[Speex-dev] building speex on macos x

Hugo Forss hugo.forss at swipnet.se
Tue Aug 16 05:57:36 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am unable to build SpeexEnc on Mac OS X 10.2. At first it complained
about not finding "getopt.h" which i solved by copying said file from
"vorbis-tools/include/" to "speex/include/". As i tried once again to
build i was given the following message:

	ld: Undefined symbols:
	_getopt_long

I also tried both the custom tar-ball and the installer package posted
by Alain Aubord but with the same results.

This seem to have affected several people running bsd and solaris
systems. I've not seen any complaints from Mac users however. After
some research i found out that getopt_long is included with Mac OS 10.3
or later.

I also noted the "HAVE_GETOPT_LONG" option within SpeexDec and
SpeexEnc. I guess it is connected to the following output from the
configure script:

	checking for getopt_long... no
	checking for getopt_long in -lgnugetopt... no

Had it been the case that getopt_long was _required_ i imagine the
configure script would have complained. But now it seems i should be
able to build without it.

I hope I'm not doing wrong in turning to the developers list to try and
find a solution for all of us MacOS 10.2 users.

Regards,
-- Hugo Forss