[Speex-dev] pocket-sized, portable speex recorder?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Aug 10 18:10:27 PDT 2005

Hi Folks.

I just subscribed, and I didn't see a mailing list search function, so
I'm asking the question here.  Apologies if this has been belabored to
death in the past.

I'm looking for a small (small enough to fit in a pocket of my
already-somewhat-full cargo pants pockets) voice recorder to use in
meetings and those all-day classes sysadmins get sent to once in a
while.

After a bit of googling, I found that I could get an mp3-recorder with
256M down to about US$50, but then I started looking into ogg, and from
there, looking into speex.

Am I correct in assuming that using speex would greatly reduce the
memory requirements in the player over mp3, or even ogg?

Are there any prepackaged devices that'll do speex recording to CF or
SDCard or whatever kind of built-in memory that can be sync'd to a linux
box via USB?

Also, I was musing a bit about whether I could feed recorded meetings
and/or classes into a speech-to-text engine like CMU sphinx 2-flat - but
would using a lossy or VBR codec like speex potentially interfere with
this sort of usage?

Thanks, and again, many apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum in
the past!