[Speex-dev] tgAudioCodec.zip

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Mon Apr 4 04:52:54 PDT 2005

I originally posted these classes because they turned out nice in
my application, were reasonably generic, and I thought they'd be
useful to other people.  I figured it was a chance to give something
back to the community.

I eventually discovered that this was a bad idea and took them
offline mainly for the following reasons:

1) Supporting the various versions of Speex is a nuisance, mainly
because there is no #define or API call to query the version.

2) My classes covered the basics of Speex and then some, but not
every possible option or conceivable use.  When someone wanted to
do something that wasn't supported, they emailed me expecting me
to update the classes to fit their application.

3) Almost all of people who emailed me about the classes were in
a rush to get their projects working, were having problems, and had
obviously not read the Speex documentation, the sample code, or the
source code to my classes.  Often I was asked to fix bugs in their
application code that had nothing to do with my classes or Speex.

Sorry, but it's not worth the aggravation.  If you want wrapper
classes for Speex, I suggest you read the Speex documentation and
sample code, then write them yourself.  Then you will (hopefully)
understand Speex well enough to use it properly.  If you run into
trouble, you can post your question politely and with enough detail
to this list, and someone (perhaps myself) will try to help you.

Tom