[Speex-dev] white noise problem when using -DFIXED_POINT

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Tue Sep 14 19:22:29 PDT 2004

On mar, 2004-09-14 at 16:31 -0700, wrote:
> Hi there.  We're trying to build a speex decoder for Palm OS (i.e. ARM7).
>
> No major problems porting thus far, but when compiling the speex modules with -DFIXED_POINT all the silent parts of the output are replaced with what sounds like high-power white noise.  The spoken parts sound great, but all the silent parts in between speaking just sounds like white noise.
>
> We're using speex 1.1.6, and current libogg sources pulled down from subversion.

It's difficult to say with only that info. Have you tried the same file
on an x86 (with and without FIXED_POINT) and comparing the results. If
you still can't find the problem, please post the file somewhere (along
with the encoded version) and I'll have a look at it. Oh, and are you
using speexenc/speexdec or you own encoder and decoder?