[Speex-dev] speex on TI C5x fixed-point DSP

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Mon Nov 1 20:33:39 PST 2004

> It took all of the DSP at that speed.  The C5509 will go up to 200MHz,
> so I guess it's 2/3 of the DSP.  We're going to profile the code to see
> if we can speed it up.

I would think it's possible to make it much faster. The first thing I'd
look is the fixed-point macros, like MUL16_16 and make sure they don't
do something much more complicated than what they're supposed to do
(e.g. compute on 32 bit operands), because there's no way to tell C to
do things like "multiply two 16-bit values that will have a result in 32
bits". Also, Speex uses lots of 16x32 multiplications, which your DSP
may do more efficiently in other ways. Of course, after that, I can also
point out several routines that would benefit the most from
optimizations (mainly the filters).