[Speex-dev] speex on TI C5x fixed-point DSP

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Mon Nov 1 11:46:47 PST 2004

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

>>I have the encoder and decoder running now and have verified that the
>>encoder is bit-exact wrt to the fixed-point code running on x86 for the
>>same 30-second audio sample.  Encode and decode together run in
>>real-time for 8KHz data, complexity=3, on 120MHz C5509 when code and
>>data are all in on-chip SRAM.  I have not tested the wideband codec yet.
>>

>Cool! Just curious, how much of the DSP does it take to do that?

It took all of the DSP at that speed.  The C5509 will go up to 200MHz,
so I guess it's 2/3 of the DSP.  We're going to profile the code to see
if we can speed it up.

>I looked at the patch. Seems mostly OK, though there are some minor
>issues. First, I don't think it's right to say spx_int_32_t=long except
>for alpha. This will likely cause problems on Itanium, Power64, SPARC64
>and probably x86-64. I suggest either an explicit check for C55xx (and
>later others) or a test in configure.ac.
>
>Also, I'm not sure I get your use of "+#ifdef UNUSED" in the SpeexBits
>code. Finally, there's a few changes which I think should be removed,
>like for speex_alloc, speex_warning, ... same as the "#if 0" for
>wideband and other debug stuff. Could you clean the patch and send it
>back to me so I can apply it?

I'll clean up the patch as suggested.  I meant to remove all the
extraneous changes but I guess I missed some.  A test in configure.ac
for sizeof(long) makes more sense than the ifdef I put in there.

Jamey