[speex-dev] migration to subversion

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Mar 16 11:27:52 PST 2004

Everyone,

We are at long last migrating the xiph.org source repository from to
subversion. We've been wanting to do this for some years, but have been
waiting for a conversion script that could deal with our creaky old cvs
repository. Subversion, although perfectly usable for the past two
years, recently announced a stable 1.0 release, and more importantly
the major issues with the cvs2svn script seem to have been resolved.

So, time to make the switch. Please hold commits this coming saturday,
march 20 until the change over is made. Up to friday, commit to cvs
as usual. I'll do a fresh conversion from cvs during the dead period and
announce when commits can begin under svn.

There's a test coversion of last week's cvs up at http://svn.xiph.org/
so you can try out the tools. Anonymous read-only access will be through
webdav at the url above. Those of you with write access to cvs will
also have it through ssh+svn://svn.xiph.org/svn/xiph/

More information about svn is available at http://subversion.tigris.org/
For those of you who are unfamiliar, svn is a new version control
system, designed as a replacement for cvs. It uses the same conceptual
model but the tools are considerably more heavyweight. Our motivation in
switching is that it removes many of the annoying limitations that we've
learned to live with in cvs. Commits are atomic rather than per-file,
files and directories can be removed and renamed in a meaningful way,
and binaries are handled gracefully. Using DAV for public access makes
it much easier users to check out the code since web browsers and a
number of file managers support access natively.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ has a useful quick start and overview for
those familiar with cvs as well as the canonial reference
documentation. Highly recommended.

Repository layout: There are a couple of standard layouts. We'll start
with project directories at the top level and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

 -r

P.S. Big crosspost here; please edit your reply destinations as
appropriate.