[speex-dev] Speex on Nokia 6600

Thu Jan 29 23:34:52 PST 2004

> You mean both encode and decode simulateusly (duplex)?

Yes.

> Could you test the Java version (jspeex) on that iPaq too? (I do not have
> anything other than very fast PC, so I cant do this...)

Actually, I don't own an iPaq (though I'm willing to accept one :), so I
long on to ipaqN.handhelds.org.

> And, in phone, the mic can record not only the users speech but also voice
> from the other side (from speaker)... Does this make compression harder or
> the result worse? How can this impact bitrate? Can Speex eliminate this
> effect?

This is called echo cancellation and I don't think it's possible to do a
decent job with the amount of CPU available an ARM can provide.

> Beside this, can Speex be compiled by anything other than gcc? (I do not
> know if gcc can create binaries for Symbian on that phone and if I
> remember good the SDK for Symbian on 6600 comes with some Borland C++
> compiler...)

Yes, Speex is portable code.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)