[speex-dev] Speex 1.1.4 is out

Wed Jan 21 13:18:04 PST 2004

> 1. I think that run-time processor detection should not be included in Speex.

Definitely. Detection belongs to the application, not libspeex.

> 2. There a few ways of doing per-file compiling flags.
>          a. Make a new static library that is just the files that have the
> SSE / Altivec code in them. You can then use target_CFLAGS in the
> Makefile.am script to set what you need

That wouldn't work well on non-x86 though.

>          b. Do tricks with file extensions. CFLAGS applies to files that
> have a .c ending. CXXFLAGS applies to files that have .cpp . If you place
> all the SSE intrinics into .cpp files, then you can add in
> libspeex\Makefile.am  a line like:  libspeex_la_CXXFLAGS = -march=pentium3.
> Even better, you can use the configure.in magic from our patch. You define
> the CXXFLAGS to add based upon the target architecture. (Note, you will
> need to add AC_PROG_CXX into configure.in). That way you add both #ifdef
> inside those files and you have runtime selection of the function to use.

The problem with this one is that it's really unclean. I don't want to
force people to have a C++ compiler just because gcc is to stupid to
handle this properly.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)