[speex-dev] Removing silence at the start and end of sample encoded

Anders S. Johansen home at dduck.dk
Sun Jan 11 02:09:56 PST 2004

Asger Kunuk Alstrup wrote:
> 1) support for automatic detection and trimming of silence at the start and end
> of the sound out.
>
> 2) support for intentionally skipping the very first and very last parts of the
> input WAV, even if it is not silence.

I have solved the exact same problem using Adobe Audition (previously
known as CoolEdit). It supports:

* Initial and trailing silence removal
* Normalization of volume
* Noise removal using fourier transformation (ie. subtract the
"noiseprint" of room + microphone)
* Batch-runs

I cleaned approx. 60.000 wav files for a digitized voice using Audition.
It took a couple of days, once I had the procedure down.

As to removing a "click" from the samples, I'm not sure I recommend an
automated approach, as there's bound to be some samples which get
truncated this way. As you will have to inspect them anyway after
automated truncation, you are rpobably better off inspecting the raw
samples, identifying the ones with clicks visually from the spectrum and
the removing it manually. Having done that myself I would say it's
possible to do that at a rate of several hundred samples pr. hour.

I see you are Danish from your email address. If you need further
assistance, you can contact me and I'll be happy to assist.

Sincerely,
   Anders S. Johansen