[speex-dev] SIMD interest

Aron Rosenberg aron at sightspeed.com
Sat Jan 17 12:17:30 PST 2004

No,

         The way you check if SSE FP / xmm is supported is to issue an
instruction with an xmm operand inside of a try catch loop:

try
{
   issue asm which uses xmm registers such as:
         pxor xmm0 xmm1
}
catch(...)
{
   if you get here an illegal instruction exception occurred then xmm
registers are not supported.
}

Incidentally, in our case, just having an Atholon XP with Windows XP does
not mean support for xmm / SSE FP. Your BIOS needs to support it as well.
We have on machine in our test labs that is exactly this case. Atholon
2400+ XP with Win XP and no support for xmm / SSE FP.

AMD has a great sample program for determining which CPU flags are
supported. You can find it at:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2364,00.html

Aron Rosenberg
SightSpeed Inc.