[Speex-dev] Speex sound a little artificial?

Fri Dec 31 11:19:26 PST 2004

Le vendredi 31 décembre 2004 à 10:32 -0800, Tay YueWeng a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > 1) Normal given the bandwidth/bit-rate used
> Do you mean the bit-rate that I should set in the
> speex codec?

I mean that depending on the bit-rate you use, the result you get may be
perfectly normal (e.g. don't expect clear sound at 2 kbps!).

> > 2) A conditioning problem with your audio (i.e. DC
> > not removed)
> What is DC?

DC (aka frequency zero) means that the signal isn't centered around
zero. When there's a DC or lots of low frequencies, Speex cannot do a
very good job.

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke