[Speex-dev] Sound distorted after normalized.

Tay YueWeng yueweng at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 19:49:34 PST 2004

Dear all,

First, my aim is to achieve VoIP using VBR and DTX
under Win32.
I face a problem using speex 1.0.4 and need some help.

My voice is ok and no background noise when I do NOT
normalize 16 bit value to floating value. Normalized
means dividing the 16 bit value by 32767.  Turning on
VBR is also ok but DTX has no effect.

However, the speak is has a continous background beep
sound AFTER I normalized my 16 bit value to floating
value. Also, voice is a little bit cracked when I
speak but I still can hear what I say.  No Codec
option has been set.

After normalized, I turn on VBR, the speak become very
noisy immediately.  Anyone has any idea? Also, DTX is
still not working.  I have gone through the manual but
not much info on this area.

The following is my setting from sound card using
mm_system sdk.
	WAVEFORMATEX *wfx = (WAVEFORMATEX *)input;
	wfx->nSamplesPerSec = 8000;
	wfx->nChannels = 1;
	wfx->wFormatTag = WAVE_FORMAT_PCM;
	wfx->wBitsPerSample = 16;