[Speex-dev] Encoding performance on ARM7/9 ?

Mon Dec 13 15:26:35 PST 2004

> I have read the decoding side performance on ARM7 or ARM9. Your comment is
> very useful for us on evaluating the possible usage of Speex on our ARM
> system. How about the encoding performance?

Encoding performance varies a lot depending on bit-rate and the complexity
setting. I just remember I was able to do 8 kHz/8 kbps on a 144 MHz with no
ARM-specific optimisations.

> In your article, you mentioned "optimization". What is it? Is it included the
> 1.1.6 release source codes?

I was refering to ARM-specific optimisations (mostly assembly) and there aren't
any significant ones on the current code. Note also that ARM9 supports very
useful instructions that aren't in the ARM7 and is thus likely to run Speex
faster.