[speex-dev] Some simple questions

Wed Sep 24 09:49:57 PDT 2003

> So just how much work are we talking about, here, to convert to fixed-point?
> Seems like with some clever type substitution and a few inlines here and
> there it might maybe not be so horrible?  But, then, I haven't looked inside
> of Speex yet, and don't have a sense of scale...

That's not as simple. With floating point, you can take any two numbers,
multiply them together and not risk an overflow (not quite but it's true
in the context of Speex). With integers, that's not the case. You have
to know the range for all the inputs and then (usually) do some shifting
according to that.

My estimation is that it would probably require in the order of 100
hours for someone (with prior experience) to convert Speex to
fixed-point. Anyone is up to the task?

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)